Sunday, May 28, 2006

Packing up your life

Settling the affairs of one's life is actually, ironically perhpas, a bit unsettling. It feels like the type of thing that should only be done once you have departed this Earth and- to that end- it should only done by other people. Going on sabbatical, however, requires you to do so. It requires that you tie up the loose ends and, generally, put everything on hold while you start over... at least for awhile.

We have, my husband and I, packed up our two and three year old for a semester-long sabbatical in France. I think Paul has been preparing for this since we last lived here 10 years ago. Alexandre, the three year old, spent the last 6 months learning French (for one hour per week). Kate... well, she's only two. For myself, I have been hoping to spend time in France since we first had an opportunity for a sabbatical about three years ago. I'm hoping this time gives me a chance to spend quality time with the kids, romantic evenings out with my husband and to spend some rather intesive time reflecting on what I want out of life after we return.

Here's to "la vie en rose!"